Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 25 min
Serves: Makes 24 cookies/melomakarona
Good afternoon, beautiful people!☕️ This Friday I am presenting you one of my favourite Christmas recipes, the “melomakarona” -pronounced meh-loh-mah-KAH-roh-nah. 🙈 You may or may not know that I’m Greek, and I lived in Greece the first 23 years of my life. That means I spent 23 years having this mouthwatering treat every Christmas. 🤤
It’s fairly easy to make, you literally just place everything in a bowl and mix them. The difficult part is the hidden secret of this recipe, and it’s the syrup. These biscuits/cookies are soaked in a festive syrup made of honey, cloves, cinnamon and other Christmas ingredients, which is what makes them so wonderful (and fattening 😂)!
I challenge you to have a go at making them and post photos of how they turned out on you Insta and tag me! 😇
One last note before we move on to the recipe, is that melomakarona are essentially vegan -you can replace honey with agave syrup and the rest of the ingredients are plant based. If you wish to make them gluten free, just replace flour and baking powder with GF alternatives.
Right, then! Let’s get on with the recipe, and happy baking! 😃
More Christmas related content:
- 1 cup olive or sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cognac or dark rum
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin spice or orange zest
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- chopped walnuts for serving
For the syrup:
- 1 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, chopped ginger, orange peels
- Mix in a bowl the oil, cognac, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon with a fork or a blender.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a different bowl.
- Pour the flour mixture little by little in the liquid mixture of oil, cognac, juice, sugar and cinnamon.
- Knead the dough and add a bit of extra flour, if needed. Don’t over knead it, otherwise melomakarona will turn out less fluffy.
- Preheat your oven at 120 degrees Celsius.
- Make small oval balls with the dough, as if you were making chocolate chip cookies. Place them in a baking tray about 0.5-1cm apart, to allow space for rising.
- Bake for 25 minutes until they are slightly golden.
- Let them cook for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, put all the syrup ingredients in a pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes and then take off the stovetop.
- Put the lukewarm melomakarona in the hot syrup and let them soak for a couple minutes, turning them upside down so they soak from both sides.
- Serve with chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey or agave syrup.
- Enjoy! 😌
Ly all 💋
*Featured image by My Ethnic Table.