Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 35 min
Serves: Makes 11 servings
Brace yourself for the most sinful vegan brownies you have ever eaten! It took me a few tries (and lots of calories!) to get the recipe right, but believe you me, this brownie is heaven!
As the title suggests, this is a vegan take of the traditional recipe. If you are gluten intolerant, please use gluten-free flour and baking powder. You could potentially replace the flour with extra cacao powder, but I have not tried this, so cannot guarantee the end result. I can only suggest the brownie might come out a bit softer, due to the lack of solidification the flour gives it.
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below, and tag me in your photos on Instagram @themarizeblog!
Without further ado, here’s the recipe:
2 cups* organic cacao powder (I used this one)
3/4 cup organic brown flour (I used seeded bread flour)
1.5 cup fair-trade Demerara sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups no added sugar lemon squash
4 tbsp pure coconut oil (in solid form, not melted)
sprinkle of Madagascan vanilla extract
dash of organic Ceylon cinnamon
pinch of low sodium salt
*I used this 0.25L measuring cup for all my cup measurements
- Preheat the oven at 200º C.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a big bowl and whisk them lightly with a fork.
- Add the coconut oil and the 1 cup of lemon squash. Mix gently with a fork or a spatula, until all the squash is absorbed.
- Add the second cup of lemon squash and fold gently, until incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Use a little coconut oil to oil a brownie baking tray and place the mixture in it.
- Bake for 35-40 min, depending on your oven, at 180º C or until the sides of the brownie are not sticking to the baking tray walls.
- Take the brownie out of the oven when ready, and leave it to cool down for at least 15 minutes.
tip: You can check if it’s ready by piercing it with a toothpick or a thin knife -if they come out clean, it’s fully baked.
- Cut the brownie in pieces (this recipe makes 11 servings).
- Serve with vegan ice-cream, vegan whipped cream and/or berries. Sprinkle icing sugar or cacao powder on top if you wish.
Enjoy and don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends!
*featured image by Ella Olsson